Saturday, April 9, 2022

Embarrassing Confession and Program Report

Through the years I have remembered vividly a Stake Conference in Montpelier, ID that my late husband, David, and I attended in the 1980s.  In a talk (I’m almost positive given by President Rasmussen) we were promised that if we would make the sacrifices needed to attend the Logan Temple regularly, one day Montpelier would have its own Temple.  I specifically remember looking down and feeling awkward and thinking what a brazen, unrealistic promise that was.  At the time there were 37 Temples, more than double the number I had grown up with, but no small Temples yet.  It just seemed impossible.  Yet last Sunday our dear President Nelson announced a Temple in Montpelier, ID!  I am humble enough to admit my doubting as a young 20-something dummy, and now my overwhelming joy for those Saints.  I hope I have more faith now than I did then.  But this is truly miraculous to me!

So – the Interfaith Easter Program!  I have been so impressed and touched at the unabashed enthusiasm and openness regarding the love for the Savior the people of other Faiths who were in the choir have.  THEY brought their friends, so we had about 50 in the audience.  We have a new High Councilor out of Klamath Falls, and he and his wife went above and beyond and came the 95 icky miles to attend, as did one of the men we’re teaching, who lives 50 miles away in another direction.  And dear Betsy, who is progressing nicely in her studies of the Gospel, came her 30 miles and brought a friend!  So OUR friends came!  (Sadly, our Alturas Branch Members didn’t catch the vision, and no one from the Cedarville Branch came.)  There have been many many kind things said, and I think everyone who was there felt an increased love for our Savior.  I will miss our new friends and our Sunday night rehearsals!  But we have plans to do a program for Independence Day, and a request to meet weekly after Easter to “Sing together songs of the Savior.”  

Not a great week for pictures – We’ll try to do better next week!  But here are a few.  Apparently deer don’t like Daffodils so these happy flowers greeted participants and audience last Sunday evening at our Church!

Definitely rough week for pics! ;)

I’ve mentioned our house is 110 years old.  That’s nothing compared to others around here… Here is a Cedarville Branch Member showing us the ORIGINAL stove from her home built in 1880s, which they still use for heating their home, and sometimes cooking!!!!

I hope you can tell - she's lifting a stove burner to insert wood!!!

As I was just writing the first draft of this on Saturday afternoon, Craig had me come look out our window!

This is out our kitchen window - she's a foot from our back wall and kept staring at us!
There were 5 more deer, but they were in a place with bad lighting.

3 comments:

  1. So glad people reached out and came to your program--- and hopefully more of your ward and branch will come to the Independence one!! Music makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love picturing you making sacrifices to go to the Logan temple and hearing that promise. How special to hear it come to pass! Adorable deer and brave, tough friends living like that! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat to see that promise from decades ago being fulfilled! I'm so glad friends came to your Easter program. It sounds like beautiful friendships and respect amongst religions was built throughout the process. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete